A century or more ago, the Oak Glen community consisted of a few large farms producing corn and wheat. Early farmers included John Hall, Sam Wentzel, Jim Mullenix, Ben Shipley, and Sam and Rome Vincent. Poor roads made travel slow and difficult — Greeneville and Jonesborough were the only towns within a two-days’ journey by wagon, and local country stores were the only nearby source of supply. As farms were divided among sons and daughters, the need for a local store was met first by S. L. Pearson, then by Billy Compton.
The first school was a one-room red frame building at the Brazelton Moore Farm. After it was destroyed by fire around 1908, William Hensley donated land for a new 50-seat school. That building was later remodeled and became the home of Oak Glen Union Church. Electricity arrived in 1940, and during the same decade Oak Glen School was built on land purchased from Nina Morrison with federal and state funding. In 1956, it was consolidated with Fall Branch School and the building was converted into a community recreation center.
In 1955, the community’s rock road was paved, and telephone service arrived the following year. In 1963, Tri-County water was installed, establishing Oak Glen as a utility district. The community was served by three churches — Chimney Top Baptist Church, Oak Glen Union Church, and Oak Glen Missionary Baptist Church, established in 1949 on land donated by Bordia Ferguson. As younger residents chose to remain in the community, new homes were built and Oak Glen continued to grow.
When Oak Glen School consolidated with Fall Branch School, only one bus was running to transport the community’s children — far too few for the number of students who needed it. Community members attended a county school board meeting and, after considerable effort, succeeded in getting a second bus. Attention then turned to another need: a place for the community to gather. In September 1958, with guidance from the county extension office and the help of Frank and Mrs. Broom, the Oak Glen Community Club was officially organized.
The club made strong progress in its first year, earning third place in the county improvement contest. That momentum was soon tested when the school board announced the old school building would be put up for auction. Determined to keep it, members circulated a petition throughout the community — and every household signed in support.
Financing was the next hurdle, but the Banking and Trust in Fall Branch agreed to provide a loan. When the auction was held, nearly the entire community turned out. Club president Mr. Broom made the winning bid of $2,077, and after further negotiation with a reluctant school board, the building was secured. Mr. Broom personally covered the extra $77, community members donated to help start the payments, and Oak Glen Missionary Baptist Church contributed $100 — a true community effort to preserve a place of their own.
The Oak Glen Community Center continues to serve as a gathering place for the surrounding area. Regular events include craft fairs, family events, holiday celebrations and more. The center is also available for private use, welcoming anyone who wishes to host a gathering, whether it be a family reunion, party, or other special occasion.
The building that the community fought so hard to keep remains, decades later, exactly what they hoped it would be — a place that belongs to everyone.